The beauty of a game. When I say a game is beautiful you probably think, how so? A game is beautiful for 5 reasons.
- Competition challenges everyone to do better. Without competition we get complacent like a monopoly in business or an entitlement program.
- Even a loser of a game is better off. Having competed in the game we are better than we were before the game for having competed. War and anarchy are based on a zero sum game or even a negative sum game where even the winner of a war may be worse off. A game is different and there is a positive sum gain where both the winner and loser are better off than they were before.
- There are rules to be followed. Having rules and referees allow for a fair competition. You can’t change the rules as you go along. The referee always tries to call the play fairly and even when there are errors in judgement the rest of the rules are followed. In life we have courts and occasionally there are bad calls by the judges, but that doesn’t undermine the rules of the game. The rules give us channels to compete against. Cheaters never win because they believe the ends justify the means. If the means you do to win aren’t within the rules then you didn’t really win. It undermines the whole game. The referees must step in and review the play.
- When the game is over, we move on. Sometimes you win; sometimes you don’t. Pick yourself up and move on. There will be another game and another day and more opportunities to succeed.
- Winning Is The Best!!! When the competition is tough and the rules are followed and the dust settles; Winning Is The Best! Enjoy your performance.
When life is approached as a game it allows us to focus on what is important – Doing Your Best. When you do your best you always have something to be proud of. You may win; you may lose. Life goes on and there is another competition right around the corner.
Next time you get upset about a political election, next time you get cut off by some jerk on the road, next time your kids disobey you, next time an appliance breaks down … Take a moment and realize Life Is Just A Game. This is just another hurdle you need to jump. Make the best of the cards you are dealt and know that the ends never justify the means.
Life Is Beautify When It’s A Game -Let’s Play!